"Bara Imambara (Urdu: ??? ?????????, Hindi: ???? ?????????) is an imambara complex in Lucknow, India, built by Asaf-ud-Daula, Nawab of Lucknow, in 1784. It is also called the Asafi Imambara.\nBara means big, and an imambara is a shrine built by Shia Muslims for the purpose of Azadari. The Bara Imambara is among the grandest buildings of Lucknow."
"Chhota Imambara (Urdu: ????? ?????????, Hindi: ???? ?????????), also known as Hussainabad Imambara (Urdu: ???????? ????????, Hindi: ????????? ?????????) is an imposing monument located in the city of Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India. It was built by Muhammad Ali Shah, The third Nawab of Avadh in 1838, it was to serve as his own mausoleum. It is also known as the Palace of Lights because of its decorations during special festivals.\nThe chandeliers used to decorate the interior of this building was brought from Belgium. Thousands of labourers worked on the project to gain famine relief.\nIt has a gilded white dome and several turrets and minarets. The tombs of Muhammad Ali Shah and other members of his family are inside the imambara. The walls are decorated with Arabic calligraphy.\nOutside the imambara is the watch tower called Satkhanda or tower of seven storeys. Though it is called Satkhanda, it has only four storeys, as the construction of the tower was abandoned when Ali Shah died. Satkhanda was built between 1837-1842 in the time of Mohammad Ali Shah. He wanted to make it the same as Qutub Minar of Delhi and the leaning tower of Pisa. Its main purpose is lunar observation."
"Dilkusha Kothi is the remains of an eighteenth-century house built in the English baroque style in the quiet Dilkusha area of Lucknow in India. Today there are only a few towers and external walls as a monument, though the extensive gardens remain. The house was shelled during its involvement in the Lucknow siege in 1857 together with the Residency and the nearby school of La Martiniere."
"A council house, otherwise known as a local authority house, normally part of a council estate, is a form of public or social housing. The term is used primarily in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Council houses were built and operated by local councils to supply uncrowded, well-built homes on secure tenancies at reasonable rents to primarily working-class people. Council house development began in the late 19th century and peaked in the mid-20th century, at which time council housing included many large suburban \"council estates\" and numerous urban developments featuring tower blocks. Many of these developments did not live up to the hopes of their supporters, and now suffer from urban blight.\nSince 1979, the role of council housing has been reduced by the introduction of right to buy legislation, and a change of emphasis to the development of new social housing by housing associations. Nonetheless, a substantial part of the UK population still lives in council housing. In 2010 about 17% of UK households lived in social housing. Approximately 40% of the country's social housing stock is owned by local authorities, 15% is managed by arm's length management organisations, and 45% by housing associations. In Scotland, council estates are known as schemes."
"This building belonged to a French businessman by name Neal, who had to given up his entire trade and belongings as per the royal decree. As the then law provides confiscation of the properties of a foreigner, all the properties of Neal automatically went in to the government treasury. Later during the reign of Aurangazeeb, this flamboyant house was given to his Islamic consultant Mullah Asad bin Qutab Shaheed and to his brother Mullah Asad bin Qutab uddin Shaheed. They developed this house into a full fledged Islamic school, which was often compared with Oxford and the Cambridge universities. \nAs a dominant Islamic institution of the 18th century, Firangi Mahal served a lot in preserving the long tradition of the rich Islamic culture wide its well oriented curriculum and broad syllabus. In fact the heads of this great institution helped the muslims of India to overcome the trauma of colonial exploration and to preserve their spiritually oriented lifestyle."
"A lofty structure that stands high in the sky, Husainabad Clock Tower is one of the appealing facades of Lucknow. Located adjacent to the Rumi Darwaza, this clock tower is a perfect example to the artistic and structural skills of the Englishmen. Built in the year 1881, Husainabad clock tower is adjudged as the tallest among all the clock towers in India. \nRoskell Payne designed this lofty structure of 67 meter high and it reflects Victorian-Gothic style structural designs. Gunmetal is used for building the clock parts. It's gigantic pendulum has a length of 14 feet and the dial of the clock is designed in the shape of a 12-petalled flower and bells around it."
Husainabad Clock Tower
"Wajid Ali Shah of Lucknow is better known as an acclaimed singer and a poet rather than a good administrator. He devoted his life for fulfilling his artistic talents, which paved way for some of the prettiest monuments in the city. Kaiserbagh Palace was his dream project and the Nawab expected that it would be enlisted as the 8th wonder. Remarkable for its architectural excellence, the Kaiserbagh Palace proffers Hindu umbrellas, ionic columns, Moorish minarets, lanterns, banisters and pediments. \nThe center of the palace holds a highly decorated structure called Baradari, which was formerly covered with Silver. Elegant look of the palace is largely complimented by the Mughal style pavilions, gilt crowns and European style statues. During the first war of Independence the palace had been subjected to fierce attack and has lost much of its splendor. Though a relic of a past glory, this amazing citadel allures people with its never ending charm"
"The Rumi Darwaza (Hindi: ???? ???????, Urdu: ???? ??????, and sometimes known as the Turkish Gate), in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India, is an imposing gateway which was built under the patronage of Nawab Asaf-Ud-dowlah in 1784. It is an example of Awadhi architecture. Being an entrance to the city of Lucknow, Russell, the reporter of The New York Times who accompanied the victorious British army that entered Lucknow in 1858, after India's First War of Independence, had called the stretch of road from Rumi Darwaza to Chattar Manzil the most beautiful and spectacular cityscape that he had ever seen, better than Rome, Paris, London and Constantinople. The Rumi Darwaza, which stands sixty feet tall, was modeled (1784) after the Sublime Porte (Bab-iHumayun) in Istanbul.\nIt is adjacent to the Asafi Imambara in Lucknow and has become a logo for the city of Lucknow. It used to mark the entrance to Old Lucknow City, but as the City of Nawabs grew and expanded, it was later used as an entrance to a palace which was later demolished by the British insurgents."
"A putrefying of 67 meter red-brick watchtower, located just opposite to the Hussainabad Imambara is a splendor of medieval architecture. The structure shows a curios blend of French and Italian style structural designs. This amazing citadel was constructed during the time of Nawab Muhamad Ali Shah, but his untimely demise in 1840 blocked its construction. Famed as the tallest tower in India, Satkianda, is believed to be built as a mark of respect to Sir George Couper, a progressive Governor of UP. \nThough the towering structure is named as Satkhanda, which means seven stories, it holds only four stories. This tower like palace was built for the purpose of viewing all the buildings in the town on those days. Though in ruins, Satkanda shows exquisite designs and miraculous structural lay out that makes a visit to this tower a life time reward."
"In Lucknow, visitors are offered with a wide assortment of picnic opportunities, which enrich their holidaying with fun and merry making. One among such favourite locations of the tourists as well as the locals is the Gautham Buddha Park that is nestled in the majestic ambiance of the Bara Imambara and the Martyrs memorial. It's pretty environ, exquisite charm and soothing atmosphere allures scores of visitors. \nChildren would be the happiest lots since they would find themselves engaged in the big rides and other recreational activities of the sports ground in the park. Nowadays this park is also used on political grounds in holding rallies and meetings. Paddle boating in the canal is another enjoyable pass time of the visitors."
Gautam Buddha Park
"Sikandar Bagh (Hindi: ??????? ????, Urdu: ?????? ????), formerly known by the British as Sikunder/Sikandra/Secundra Bagh, is a villa and garden enclosed by a fortified wall, with loopholes, gateway and corner bastions, approx. 150 yards square, c. 4.5 acres, located in the city of Lucknow, Oudh, Uttar Pradesh, India. It was built by the last Nawab of Oudh, Wajid Ali Shah (1822-1887), as a summer residence. The name of the villa signifies '\"Garden of Sikandar\", perhaps after Alexander the Great, whose name lives on in this form in these parts (compare Alexandria, Egypt, in Arabic ?????????? Al-Iskandariya), or perhaps after Sikandar Mahal Begum, the Nawab's favourite wife. It was stormed in 1857 by the British during the Indian Mutiny and witnessed within its walls the slaughter of all 2,200sepoy mutineers who had made it a stronghold during their Siege of Lucknow. The site now houses the National Botanical Research Institute of India."
"National Chambal Sanctuary, also called the National Chambal Gharial Wildlife Sanctuary, is a 5,400 km2 (2,100 sq mi) tri-state protected area in northern India for the critically endangered gharial (small crocodiles), the red-crowned roof turtle and the endangered Ganges river dolphin. Located on the Chambal River near the tripoint of Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh, it was first declared in Madhya Pradesh in 1978 and now constitutes a long narrow eco-reserve co-administered by the three states. Within the sanctuary the pristine Chambal River cuts through mazes of ravines and hills with many sandy beaches."
"Hazratganj (Hindi: ????????, Urdu: ???????) is a major shopping area situated in the heart of Lucknow in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. In addition to bazaars, it also contains shopping complexes, restaurants, hotels, theaters and offices.It was built by Amjad Ali Shah. Hazratganj road was earlier called Queens Way and was open only to British carriages before Independence. A Hanuman temple also exists in Hazratganj. Many shops in Hazratganj are in narrow winding lanes.\nIn 2010-11, a major beautification drive took place in Hazratganj and the market now resembles a Victorian era walkway with bright lamps, benches and fountains."